Pages

26 February 2014

ScienceOnline dedicates a weekend to revolutionizing science on the Internet

For my mobile and social media journalism class, we have to keep tabs on journalists and leaders in our beat, and because my beat is science (I know, shocker), I have a list of science people I follow on Twitter and Facebook and such. This week, I've seen a lot of the hashtag #scio14, so I decided to check it out, and I've decided that I needed to hitchhike my way down to Raleigh for ScienceOnline Together.  The event, which started today with tours of various science hotspots in the city, starts with sessions tomorrow and continues through Saturday.

The nonprofit that runs it, ScienceOnline, seeks to gather experts from around the field of science communication (teachers, journalists, researchers, etc) to talk about how to best get their ideas out online. This weekend's event was started in 2007 and has since branched out to additional conferences that cover more specific parts of science communication, such as the brain, climate, and a teen conference. They also run ScienceSeeker, an aggregator of science news and blogs; their current tally is at more than 1,200 sites.

In addition to all the silliness, sass, and snark I'm getting via Twitter from the event (Discover Mag blogger Kyle Hill is particularly fun to follow), I'm enjoying the lineup of sessions they have for this weekend. They have a few on specific topics such as women in science or non-English science communication, how to make science accessible to the average joe (and subsequently how to make the average joe think more scientifically), and how to utilize online resources for science and science communication. If that's not enough of an incentive, they also have breaks in which participants get together for games and even a costume gala.

Unfortunately for me, registration has been closed for a while, as they only take about 450 people. There's also the issue of my lack of money (it's 350 bucks), transportation (more money I don't have), plus that thing called class. But if I can get in next year…

No comments:

Post a Comment