Pages

10 January 2014

Brilliant breathy British biology

Every once in a while in AP bio junior year of high school, we'd watch clips from the TV series Planet Earth, whether to supplement our unit at the time or because we had to find something to do. As much as we'd enjoy poking fun at Sir David Attenborough's breathy commentary, it was a good series, and the filming was very well done. One of the clips I still remember was in the "Jungle" segment: it was a bit on various fungi for that particular chapter, but it focused on one type that was parasitic. It still grosses me out, so I'll share it with you.


And now that I just gave you nightmares for the next month, I'll get to the meat of my post: Sir David's AMA on Reddit. I'm not much of a Redditor myself, but I've heard the AMAs can be pretty insightful, not to mention a great opportunity to ask a famous person a burning question. In this one, he answers questions about what he's up to next, favorites and least favorites, and other fun memories from his career, like the time he got charged by a cassowary. Then again, this comment pretty much took the cake:


I think it's great that influential figures such as this timeless biologist can take time out of their busy lives to interact with fans. It says a lot about their character, you learn a lot, and it's entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment